Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Parable.

Each day one learns something new. Yesterday  I learnt two.

One, Optimism is a state of mind. It has nothing to do with our social status or educational background and two that the Indian cab drivers are probably the best in the world.

Yesterday was my last day in Bhopal and I had to do a lot of travelling. I always prefer hiring a cab as it saves a lot of time. When we were returning, suddenly there was a thunder and rather unexpectedly it started raining, not just cats and dogs, but the entire feline and canine fraternity. We still were more than twenty miles away from the city. 

Horror of horrors, the wiper of the car was not working. The driver called up his agency and he came to know that his supervisor had ordered a servicing on his off day and probably the mechanic forgot to connect the cables. Now we had two options. Either stand put where we were or take a risk and drive. The driver explained that since it was raining with heavy breeze, it was more difficult to drive since the raindrops spread on the front after falling thus making it very difficult to see ahead. 

I was feeling cold, hungry and tired. But I had to leave it to the driver. My mind said wait but my heart and my rumbling stomach said move.
The driver looked out and said that this rain doesn’t look like stopping.  He was indeed prophetic.  The rains didn’t stop the whole night.  

Fortunately we were on the outskirts of the city and the road was practically empty. There were occasional cars but no bikes or cycles.

He opened his side window and drove slowly.  He explained that any car which overtakes would be from his right side. So he would know. Also he could see faintly the lights of the leading vehicles. I was scared of the cyclists, buffaloes and dogs. He told me not to worry and stopped under every tree and cleaned his mirror. I asked him how he would manage in the city. He cheerfully replied, “ Let’s hope it stops for a while.”  He said that always look at the positive side.  Imagine if we were on the highway or in the city. His optimism was infectious.

I planned to take an auto once we reached the city. But probably even the rain Gods were moved by his optimism. It didn't stop raining. But for some time the pouring became a drizzle. His eyes now fully accustomed, skilfully drove me to safety and warmth of my home. I tipped him generously which he accepted grinning, glad that his hard work had not gone unnoticed.

In all the parables, there is a moral at the end of the story. Now we can draw a lot of them from this.

There may be some who may deduce that one has to avoid being stupid like me. Others may feel that the same about the driver. All of you are right. But parables are not meant to teach negatives. Hence we should look at how optimism helps in life.

For those who still disagree, at least let us agree that the Indian drivers are the best in the world.

( You can’t always win!)

2 comments: